Match Report

Match Info

Date: 28/05/2007
Competition: League
Venue: Dalymount Park

Home Team

B Murphy; O Heary, Byrne (Powell 47), Burns, McGuinness, Rice, T Heary, Hunt (Rossiter 68), Kelly, Crowe, Fenn (Mansaram 74)

Away Team

Ryan; A Murphy, C Foley, Brennan (Rooney 83), Maguire, O'Connor (M Foley 67), Fahey, Mulcahy, Kirby, M Quigley, O'Neill (Lynch 90)


Referee: A Kelly (Cork).

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

Bohemians 2 - St Patrick's Athletic 0

BOHEMIANS climbed to second place in the Premier Division table with a derby defeat of leaders St Patrick's Athletic at Dalymount Park last night.

The Gypsies still trail John McDonnell's St Pat's by six points but they have ensured the title race is no longer a two-horse race between the Saints and Drogheda United.

An early Stephen Rice goal and a late Mark Rossiter penalty preserved Sean Connor's outfit's unbeaten home record this term.

Glen Crowe had a chance as early as the fourth minute when he got his head to a right-wing delivery by Stephen Rice but Saints 'keeper Barry Ryan did enough to parry the ball for a corner.

Bohs had a setting sun in their eyes in the first half and keeper Brian Murphy fumbled a strike from Gary O'Neill after he was temporarily dazzled.

A brilliant overlap and cross by Anto Murphy would have produced a Saints goal in the 14th minute had Mark Quigley not fresh-aired at the near post and Thomas Heary cleared.

Bohs then took the lead through some impressive football in the 24th minute. Kelly set the move in motion with a sensational cross-field pass for Crowe that took Colm Foley out of the game and Rice slid in to beat Ryan from eight yards.

O'Neill missed an equalising chance when he too failed to connect with a Murphy cross yards from the Bohs goal in the 35th minute.

Kelly was controversially booked for an alleged dive at the edge of the Saints box in the last minute of the first half but TV replays showed there was contact.

Quigley passed up a chance to level in the 56th minute when he rounded Bohs 'keeper Murphy and chipped narrowly wide after collecting a sweeping ball from Anto Murphy.

Unfortunately that proved to be a rare opportunity in the second half as the tempo of the game dropped dramatically as time ticked by.

Crowe passed up a decent chance to extend his side's lead in the 76th minute when he headed over from a right-wing cross by Owen Heary.

Bohs secured the points in the 89th minute when substitute Rossiter converted a penalty after Dave Mulcahy took down Darren Mansaram.

© Irish Independent