Match Report

Match Info

Date: 10/03/2008
Competition: Setanta Cup
Venue: Richmond Park
Attendance: 1479

Home Team

Barry Ryan; Brennan, O'Cearuill, Harris, Partridge; Guy, Dempsey (Byrne 78), Fahey, Bobby Ryan (Kirby 86); O'Neill, Quigley (Keane 67).

Away Team

Morris; Nixon, Neill, Hill, Leeman; Boyce (McGovern 86), Fordyce (Fitzgerald 86), McCabe, Ward; Halliday, Hamilton.


Referee: C Burns (Antrim)

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 3 - Glentoran 3

ST PAT'S produced the most unlikely of comebacks with two goals in the last five minutes to secure a share of the spoils in Richmond Park last night.

For much of the match, the home side looked out of sorts but a late flourish saw them avoid a first-ever defeat to northern opposition in this competition.

The opening goal came after a breakdown in communication between new signing Joe O'Cearuill and Barry Ryan in the Pat's goal.

London-born O'Cearuill's weak header was pounced on by Michael Halliday, who gave the visitors the lead.

After that setback, St Pat's slowly got back on track with Keith Fahey almost getting in behind the Glentoran defence only for his touch to let him down at the crucial moment before Pat's forced a controversial equaliser.

Neat approach play involving Bobby Ryan saw Gary O'Neill find space in the area. His initial effort was blocked by Elliot and he seemed to have scrambled away a second effort before O'Neill bundled the ball over the line. Elliot and his defence claimed the ball was kicked out of the keeper's hands but the goal stood.


Chances were also at a premium in the second half and as it wore on the Richmond Park faithful were becoming increasingly anxious at their side's inability to put the Ulster side under any meaningful and consistent pressure.

They paid the price as Glentoran went ahead again through a 71st-minute Colin Nixon penalty.

A clever Glentoran move saw Gary Hamilton turn well in the box only to be hauled back by David Partridge. Referee Colin Burns had no hesitation in awarding the penalty and Nixon made no mistake from the spot.

It got even better for the visitors when Daryl Fordyce added a third with just five minutes to go. He gained possession after a poor Barry Ryan punch and picked his spot to seemingly seal the win for the visitors.

Pat's replied through O'Neill but it looked to be in vain before Keith Fahey scrambled a late equaliser.

© Irish Independent