Match Report

Match Info

Date: 04/11/2008
Competition: League
Venue: Richmond Park

Home Team

Ryan, Partridge, Lynch (Dempsey 39), Rogers, O Cearuill, Harris (Fitzpatrick 70), Fahey (Kirby 67), Gavin, O'Brien, Guy, Quigley.

Away Team

McNulty, Horgan, Ryan, Murray, Gamble, Dudfield, Behan, Sullivan, O'Connor, Kearney, Murphy.


Referee: D. Hanney

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 0 - Cork City 1

Cork City's pursuit of European football next season is very much alive after they beat St Pat's 1-0 at Richmond Park.

The winner came on 60 minutes courtesy of a free kick by Danny Murphy, awarded after Joe O Cearuill pulled at Denis Behan.

City next host Sligo Rovers, who are also chasing that European spot, on Friday night whilst the defeat means Pat's have now lost their last four league and cup games at home.

With City chasing that European place and Pat's looking to finish second in the table the game was keenly contested from the start.

The first major action came when City were awarded a free kick on eight minutes when Jason Gavin muscled Alan O'Connor off the ball.

Murphy swung in the free but his curling effort was dealt with by the Pat's defence.

There was action at the other end on 12 minutes when Pat's Mark Quigley broke free of Murphy inside the Cork half but the inrushing Dan Murray stormed through to clear the ball.

O'Connor then should have done better for City just before the 20 minute mark when he got a shot in after a mini scramble in the goalmouth but he dragged his low drive wide of Barry Ryan's left hand post.

The early attacking action from both sides petered out slightly as the half progressed with the main happening being the introduction of Pat's Gary Dempsey for the injured Damien Lynch on 39 minutes.

In his first game since declaring his wish to leave St Pat's to further his career, Keith Fahey struck a decent looking free kick on 43 minutes but he put too much in his shot and the ball flew high and wide.

Pat's started the second period in fine form and should have been ahead on 49 minutes but following an excellent passage of team work Ryan Guy crashed his shot wide of the post.

However, Cork took control after that and it was they who took the lead on the hour mark.

Joe O Ceaurill pulled at Denis Behan on the edge of the box and from the resulting free kick Murphy found the bottom right corner of Ryan's goal.

Fahey left the pitch on 65 minutes with a cut head after a collision with Murray and was replaced two minutes later by Alan Kirby whilst Pat's were also forced to replace Jamie Harris with Glen Fitzpatrick soon after.

Pat's pushed hard for an equaliser but apart from touches of genius from Guy and Kirby they just didn't have the quality on the night.