Match Report

Match Info

Date: 20/05/2005
Competition: League
Venue: The Brandywell

Home Team

Away Team


Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

Derry City 2 - St Patrick's Athletic 2

A lively start was made to the game in the Brandywell, with Derry winning an early corner. Pats cleared and some good work from Fahey and Doyle nearly fed in Rowe for an early Pats chance.

A lovely cross from Fahey moments later found M Foley who had made a great run to the far post but the his first touch let him down. Derry had a couple of chances at the other end, Farren with both efforts before Delaney made a heavy challenge on Doyle and Pats were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position. Fahey made another expert delivery and Maguire rose well to win the header, which was deflected by Hutton onto the Derry crossbar.

As Pats began to stamp their authority on the game, C Foley?s excellent pass found M Foley who turned well before his shot was deflected. Shortly after, Maguire?s pass was intercepted by Delaney, but the Derry defender?s mis-control led to a handball and referee Hanney rightly ordered a Pats free-kick within striking distance. Doyle?s shot was deflected, as was a subsequent effort by Caffrey before the ball feel to Rowe, his snapshot well saved by Forde.

At the other end in a rare Derry attack, Cash broke through but a last-ditch challenge from Maguire cleared the immediate danger. The resultant corner saw the ever-impressive Fahey clear the danger and show great composure before passing to Rowe, the hard work between the two of them gaining Pats a corner at the other end. M Foley?s corner found his namesake but Colm?s header, although powerful, lacked accuracy as Pats continued to enjoy the lion?s share of possession. This possession finally told on 26 minutes when some fabulous play from Doyle found Rowe, who was dragged down as he shot on goal. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and after a brief discussion amongst the Pats lads, all of whom were eager to take responsibility, FAHEY stepped up. The midfielder showed once again why he is so highly rated with a super-cool finish, hitting a perfect penalty into the bottom right hand corner of the goal.

Pats looked to increase their lead and a move involving some neat play between Prenderville and Foley and another flash of the sublime by Fahey resulted in Perth?s shot swerving over the bar. Prenderville was in the action at the other end of the park in a rare Derry attack when he made a great challenge as Farren looked through on goal. The Saints dug deep to ensure the lead was kept, with both Doyle and Rowe tracking back where necessary and it was Doyle with a spectacular goal-line clearance that kept Pats ahead.

As the game met the final stages of the first half, Derry increasingly came into the match and Pats had to endure a bit of pressure but held on and it was the Saints who looked the more lively as the second half began. A Fahey free-kick was well saved by Forde before the midfielder put in a fantastic pass to Rowe, who had made an equally good run. Forde was again called into action in the Derry goal to prevent the away side going further ahead.

Minutes later, however, it all went wrong for Pats within a short space of time. As Derry attacked, the Saints struggled to clear the ball and although Prenderville looked to have been impeded, no decision was made and MURPHY drilled in a low shot through several bodies into the bottom corner. Just four minutes later, on 65 minutes, Farren was allowed too much space and as he pressed down on goal, Ryan made the decision to come off his line. FARREN rounded the keeper and leaving Ryan in no mans land, finished from an acute angle to give Derry a lead they had done little to earn.

It nearly went from bad to worse when Murphy found himself unmarked in the area but blazed his shot well wide. Pats were obviousl