Match Report

Match Info

Date: 09/05/2009
Competition: League
Venue: Richmond Park
Attendance: 1175

Home Team

Rogers, Byrne, Guy, Quigley, Cawley, Maher, O'Connor, Gavin, Haverty, Ryan, Moran. Subs: Lester, McCann, Fitzpatrick, Harron, Stevens.

Away Team

Connor, Sullivan, Murray, O'Halloran, Murphy, Kuduzovic, Gamble, Healy, Lordan, Silagailis, Behan. Subs: McNulty, O'Connor, Deasy, Long, Kiely.


Referee: R Winter

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 0 - Cork City 3

Cork City went level on points with Bohemians at the top of the Premier Division table following a convincing win over ten-man St Pat's at Richmond Park writes Mark Cummins.

Two Colin Healy corners set up the first two goals for City with Denis Behan slotting in the first on 14 minutes and Greg O'Halloran powerfully heading in the other on 18.

City wrapped up the points when Faz Kudozovic curled the third in on 33 minutes before Stuart Byrne was given a straight red card for a hard tackle on Kudozovic on 38.

Pat's had actually started well and were awarded a free kick on 11 minutes when O'Halloran fouled Ryan Guy on the right, but they wasted the chance.

Alan Cawley chose to square the ball to Gareth O'Connor in what looked like a training ground routine, but O'Connor blasted the ball over the bar at the Kilmainham end.

Cork then took control with two goals in four dramatic minutes, both from Healy corners. First, on 14 minutes, his ball wasn't made safe by Pat's goalkeeper Gary Rogers and it fell to Behan at the far post, and the Abbeyfeale man slotted past Rogers into the back of the net.

Then on 18 minutes, Healy's corner from the same side was headed home powerfully by O'Halloran.

With City dominant, Pat's were at sixes and sevens after that. They fell further behind on 33 when former Sligo and Drogheda hotshot Kudozovic collected from Healy and curled a beautiful strike into Rogers' top right corner at the Inchicore end.

It then went from bad to worse for the Saints and the game was more or less over as a contest five minutes later when Byrne was given a straight red card following a crunching tackle on Kudozovic.

City stayed in full control of proceedings as the second period developed with their travelling support cheering every pass.

There were small signs that there was still some life in the Pat's side. In particular, captain Jason Gavin showed good leadership. Twice he made good interceptions to dispossess Behan. On 55 he intercepted a deep ball bound for Behan on the right and then on 77 raced along the left touchline to beat the City striker to a ball.

It was that determination from Gavin and his team mates that ensured that City were somehow prevented from increasing their lead despite their numerical advantage.