Match Report

Match Info

Date: 04/07/2009
Competition: League
Venue: Richmond Park
Attendance: 2340

Home Team

Rogers, Maher, Haverty, Gavin, Stevens, Ryan (Moran 76), Byrne (c), G O'Connor, Guy, Harris (Cawley 50), Fitzpatrick.

Away Team

Murphy, Bermingham, Flynn, Price, Sives, Robinson (c), Bradley (McGill 81), S O'Connor (Amond 87), Purcell, Twigg, Baker (Cowan 87).


Ref: A Kelly (Cork).

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 1 - Shamrock Rovers 2

Shamrock Rovers moved into third place in the League of Ireland Premier Division thanks to a Gary Twigg double as the Hoops beat St Patrick's Athletic 2-1 at Richmond Park.

His first, a close-range volley from a Dessie Baker knock down came on 41 minutes and the second, a super, low drive tucked into Gary Rogers' bottom-left corner on 66 minutes.

St Pat's had decent chances, mostly in the first half, but Rovers goalkeeper Barry Murphy did well to make several vital saves.

Alan Cawley got one back for Saints from the spot on 81 minutes but they couldn't muster up an equaliser.

St Pat's USA hit-man Ryan Guy tried to get the 4th of July celebrations off to an early start.

He raced on to a Bobby Ryan long ball on the left on four minutes but only found the side netting at Barry Murphy's right post.

Murphy then had a busy period but dealt with several Saints' offensives with little hassle.

He blocked Jamie Harris's header on 11 minutes, a low Stephen Maher drive at his left post after 20 minutes and a Gareth O'Connor free-kick in the 26th minute. Then three minutes later, he got down well to deny O'Connor's strike from outside the area.

Apart from that St Pat's didn't really have that final killer instinct.

Rovers hit-man Twigg did and the visitors took the lead after 41 minutes as he connected with Dessie Baker's knock-down in the box.

Tadhg Purcell headed the ball back across goal after a cross from the left wing and Twigg volleyed low past Gary Rogers from close range thanks to Baker out-jumping Jamie Harris.

Saints struck back in the second half and Rovers keeper Murphy did well in the 54th minute to snatch O'Connor's cross before the inrushing Glen Fitzpatrick could get a touch.

Minutes later he blocked Ryan's dangerous looking shot from the left.

Alan Cawley, who replaced Harris five minutes into the second period, took a well placed free kick on the hour but blasted high over the crossbar with an effort that looked more at home in Croke Park than Richmond Park.

Twigg netted a second after 66 minutes when he met Sean O'Connor's ball from the left and sweetly shot past Rogers into the bottom right of the net.

Pat's got one back from the penalty spot on 81 through Cawley after Aidan Price took down Maher in the box.

© rté.ie