Match Report

Match Info

Date: 30/08/2009
Competition: League
Venue: Richmond Park
Attendance: 1141

Home Team

1 Gary Rogers; 3 Darragh Ryan, 6 Damian Lynch, 18 Jason Gavin, 4 David Partridge; 7 Stuart Byrne, 17 Gareth O'Connor (14 Bobby Ryan 67 mins), 10 Alan Cawley, 21 Ryan Guy; 11 Mark Quigley, 23 Declan O'Brien (12 Glen Fitzpatrick 16 mins).

Away Team

1 Steve Williams; 2 Scott Gibb, 3 Robbie Clarke, 4 Conor Kenna, Alan McNally; 6 Eric McGill, 7 Brendan McGill, 8 James Chambers, 9 Brian King (14 Robbie Farrell 86 mins); 10 Robbie Martin (12 Guy Bates 86 mins), 11 Ross Gaynor.


Ref: N Doyle.

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 1 - Drogheda United 0

Stuart Byrne scored against his former club to seal a vital win for St Pat's as they bounced back from Thursday's Europa League exit, writes Mark Cummins.

Byrne shot home at Steve Williams' near post on 81 after Mark
Quigley's shot was blocked following a sustained period of Pat's
pressure. The game sprang to life in the second period with several chances for both sides following a quieter first half.

Drogs will be disappointed having had plenty of possession and several chances themselves.

It was a quite enough opening in front of a slightly smaller than
usual Sunday evening crowd in Inchicore though Pat's Gareth O'Connor and Alan Cawley along with Drogs' Eric McGill all went close early on.

Pat's were forced into a change on 16 minutes when striker Declan O'Brien received an injury to his left index finger and was replaced by Glen Fitzpatrick.

On 22 minutes Drogs' James Chambers sent a fierce free kick wide of Gary Rogers' left hand post while on 28 Quigley had a shot on target for Pat's from Ryan Guy's pass but Williams was well placed to save.

At the other end Rogers saved well from Conor Kenna who headed on Ross Gaynor's corner powerfully on 33.

Drogs should have been ahead on 51 when Brian King met a cross from the right and delivered a fine header but he was denied by the woodwork.

Pat's put together a superb passing movement and really deserved a goal but ultimately, it came to nothing on 63. O'Connor, Cawley, Byrne and Fitzpatrick all had a touch before Drogs repelled the move back to Dave Partridge who sent the ball back up and Darragh Ryan had the final cross but Williams made the save.

Brendan McGill cut through the Pat's defence and put Chambers through for Drogs on 73 but his shot was well saved by Rogers.

Pat's sealed the win on 81 minutes following more good team work along the right wing. The ball came to Quigley who saw his shot blocked by Williams but Byrne was on had to shoot home at the post.