Match Report

Match Info

Date: 28/09/2009
Competition: League
Venue: Carlisle Grounds

Home Team

Chris O'Connor, Derek Pender, Derek Foran, Chris Deans, (Dave Webster 79 mins), Dane Massey, Gareth Coughlan (Ian Tuohy 69 mins), Chris Shields, Dave Mulcahy, Gary McCabe; Jake Kelly (Stephen Brennan half time), John Flood

Away Team

Brendan Clarke, Damien Lynch, Jason Gavin, Dave Partridge, Enda Stevens, Ryan Guy, Stuart Byrne, Gary Dempsey, Darragh Ryan (Barry Ryan 81 mins), Mark Quigley (Mark Leech), Declan O'Brien (John Lester 81 mins).


Referee: Dave McKeon (Dublin).

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

Bray Wanderers 0 - St Patrick's Athletic 1

Declan 'Fabio' O'Brien's first league goal since May earned St Patrick's Athletic a crucial victory that looks to have moved them out of the relegation equation.

But FAI Cup semi finalists Bray remain rooted to the bottom of the
Premier Division table as they remain without a home success since the start of June.

The Wicklow club's second loss at the Carlisle Grounds in just four days after their dramatic defeat to Drogheda leaves them three points adrift of Sligo Rovers with only seven top flight fixtures remaining.

A distinct lack of fire power was evident as away custodian Brendan Clarke was rarely troubled.

For St Pat's caretaker boss Pete Mahon it was his first victory in charge of the Richmond Park outfit.

With a long range drive by Wanderers' Dave Mulcahy deflected over the only real chance of note in a quiet start, the Dubliner's went ahead in the 28th minute.

Dave Patridge's long ball out of defence saw the striker race clear
down the left channel. With the home defence claiming offside, no flag came, and the on-loan from Dundalk marksman superbly lobbed a stranded Chris O'Connor from 30-yards.

Amazingly, despite his exploits in Europe, it was first goal in domestic competitions for the Inchicore club, and they almost doubled that cushion moments later.

O'Brien tricked his way into the box and from the end-line teed-up Mark Quigley. His shot was blocked at the near post by team-mate Darragh Ryan with O'Connor smothering the ball.

St Pat's went close to increasing their advantage midway through the second period with a near carbon copy of O'Brien's goal.

Damien Lynch released Ryan Guy along the right flank, but with O'Connor caught in no man's land, the American's hooked shot from 25-yard found the side netting.

Then in the 89 minute, forward Mark Leech could only tamely stroke the ball with his very touch after just coming on for O'Connor to make a comfortable save.