Match Report

Match Info

Date: 19/03/2010
Competition: League
Attendance: 1563

Home Team

Rogers; Lynch, Bermingham, Kenna, Guthrie; McAllister (Coughlan 62), S Byrne (Sinnott 67), Guy; Mulcahy; Faherty, Williams (P Byrne 73).

Away Team

Brennan; Shortall, Nangle, Boyle, E McMillan, Fallon; McMahon, Roche (Ward 56), D McMillan (Mulhall 56), Fitzgerald (Rusk 62); Kilduff;


Referee: Alan Kelly
Assistants: K Hennessy, B McDonnell

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 3 - UCD 0

Ryan Guy scored two late goals as St Patrick's Athletic maintained their 100% start to the season with this crushing south-Dublin derby win over UCD.

Vinny Faherty scored the opener in first half injury time with a fine chip over UCD keeper Billy Brennan.

Brennan had a good night in goal for College but could do nothing about Guy's close range strikes on 87 and 88 minutes. The result leaves St Pat's as the only Airtricity Premier Division side not to concede a goal so far this season.

The early excitement included an excellent clearance by Brennan on eight minutes when he darted from his line and headed a dangerous cross to safety before Pat's could capitalise.

Pat's eventually started to take a dominant role in proceedings and forced a series of corners in a short spell starting on the quarter hour. However, College dealt with the threat confidently.

On 16, Pat's had shouts for a penalty when Stuart Byrne's drive looked to have grazed a UCD hand in the box but referee Alan Kelly didn't agree.

With Ciaran Kilduff up front on his own for College, the visitors didn't offer too much to worry Pat's keeper Gary Rogers. Indeed, he wasn't even troubled by Peter McMahon's corner on 21minutes that sailed into touch.

Brennan did well to save from Alex Williams on 23 minutes before Williams narrowly failed to connect with Faherty's cross at the back post on 32 minutes.

Brennan was alert again for College on 36 minutes when he cleared from the feet of Guy who connected well with Faherty's through ball while Rogers saved well from David McMillan at the other end on 39.

Brennan was the standout UCD player of the opening half but his luck was out as the clock moved into injury time. Former Galway United man Faherty pounced on a mistake in the UCD defence and chipped the advancing netminder, sending the ball into the top corner at the Inchicore end goal.

UCD got stuck in from the off as the second 45 began. They came closest on 53 when McMahon's corner eventually fell to David McMillan but he couldn't find the net with his back-to-goal effort while on the hour Ciaran Nangle's cross struck the woodwork.

Faherty should have had a second for Pat's on 62 but having latched onto Williams' excellent pass he dragged his shot wide when under pressure from Evan McMillan. Gareth Coughlan then blasted high wide for Pat's from the left on 67 after an inch-perfect pass from the right by Guy.

It wasn't all Pat's though as Keith Ward had a shot on goal for UCD on 71 after shaking off his marker but Rogers saved well. Seconds later Coughlan fired over for Pat's again.

Guy then sealed the points with two strikes in the space of a minute. Faherty provided the cross for the American to finish with aplomb inside the area on 87 minutes. While the Pat's fans were still celebrating, Paul Byrne set Guy up to shoot past Brennan for the third, again from close range, a minute later.