Match Report

Match Info

Date: 06/04/2010
Competition: League

Home Team

O'Connor; Heary, Powell, Oman, Shelley; Cronin, McGlynn, Keegan, Brennan; J Byrne (Quigley 83 mins) Madden (Cretaro 79 mins).

Away Team

Rogers; Pender, Bermingham (Lynch 62 mins), Kenna, Guthrie; Cash (Coughlan 75 mins), S Byrne, Guy, Mulcahy; Faherty, P Byrne (McAllister 86 mins).


Referee: D McKeon (Meath).

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

Bohemians 1 - St Patrick's Athletic 1

Bohemians and St Patrick's Athletic shared the spoils following this Titanic top of the table Dublin derby at Dalymount Park.

Vinny Faherty put the Saints ahead on 17 minutes when he slotted past Bohs keeper Chris O'Connor.

Jason Byrne fired in the equaliser past Gary Rogers on 48 minutes, the first league goal Rogers and Pat's have conceded this season - after 498 minutes of football.

The point leaves Pat's top of the table on 12 points, one ahead of Bohs who have a game in hand.

Bohemians seemed to settle into things much quicker than their cross-city opponents. Indeed they could have taken the lead inside two minutes when Paul Keegan's corner caused havoc in the Pat's defence. The ball eventually fell to Jason Byrne but the Tallaght man concocted to shunt the ball wide when it looked easier to score.

Killian Brennan then fired high and wide of the target on six minutes from a good position as Bohs continued to dominate.

However, Pat's raised their game and having firstly seeing a Paul Byrne header ruled out for offside took the lead on 17 minutes. Faherty collected Paul Byrne's pass from the left just outside the box and calmly slotted low past O'Connor, to the delight of their fans, positioned behind O'Connor's goal in the Des Kelly Carpets stand.

Looking to get back into the game Bohs pushed on and Brennan's creative free on 26 was met by Gareth McGlynn, but he former Derry City man slammed the ball straight into the Pat's defensive wall. Then Jason Byrne crashed a free wide and into the empty terraces beyond the right hand side of Rogers' goal.

Byrne picked out McGlynn with a neat pass on 34 minutes but with Paddy Madden well placed on the right he chose to go it alone and sent his shot well off target.

The Pat's goal led a charmed life for the rest of the half as Bohs produced attack after attack, including some excellent corner kicks from Brennan and Keegan, but the Champions couldn't find a way to breach the Inchicore side's rearguard.

Pat Fenlon's half time team talk did the trick because the home side were level just three minutes into the second half. Bohs pressure in the area after a McGlynn cross saw the ball come to Byrne at the far post and he rifled past Rogers into the bottom corner.

Bohs thought they were ahead on 54 after the best move of the game when Conor Powell's fantastic run found Byrne who in turn set up Madden but Madden's header was ruled offside.

On 71 Madden was handed another chance to get his side's second when Rogers parried the ball and it fell to the Bohs number nine on a plate but the youngster cannoned the ball high and wide when a delicate chip was all that was needed to beat Rogers.

Fenlon changed his frontline for the final stretch, with Mark Quigley and Raffaele Cretaro coming on for Byrne and Madden. Cretaro - the goal hero against Linfield on Saturday - snuck in on a through ball on 80 but Rogers cleared the threat.