Match Report

Match Info

Date: 03/09/2004
Competition: League
Venue: Richmond Park

Home Team

1. Adamson, 2. Quigley, 3. Byrne, 4. Prenderville, 5. Maguire, 6. Foley, 7. Osam(15. Casey), 8. Quinless, 9. Doyle(17. Knight), 10. Markey, 11. O’Keeffe. subs not used: 12. Dunne, 14. Bell, 16. Clarke.

Away Team

1. N Mooney, 2. Robinson, 3. Gough, 4. McGuinness, 5. Palmer, 6. O'Halloran, 7. Caffrey, 8. O'Brien, 9. D Mooney, 10. Molloy, 11. Rutherford. subs: 12. Kelly, 14. Cousins, 15. Thornton, 16. Murphy, 17. Malone.


Referee:P McKeown

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 2 - Shamrock Rovers 0


ST PAT'S resurgence under John McDonnell continued at Inchicore last night as the in-form Robbie Doyle setting them on their way to a thoroughly deserved victory.

The game which saw Andrew Cousins, brother of Tony, make his debut for Rovers, was as one-sided as they come with the Saints looking lively throughout despite the absence of the suspended Keith Fahey.

It was Rovers' fourth defeat on the trot, the latest reversal allowing Pat's to leapfrog over their tenants and assume a more respectable position in the table.

Pat's had got off to a dream start when, with just four minutes gone, Doyle latched onto a cross from Mark Quinless before delivering a low shot into the bottom corner. And with the Hoops centre-half partnership not exuding confidence, Pats continued to cut them open with Aidan O'Keeffe having another fine game down the left.

One bit of inspiration from Trevor Molloy was about all that the Rovers fans had to be cheerful about in the first half with Pat's getting plenty of bodies behind the ball.

Although Barry Prenderville just failed to connect with a Quinless cross shortly after the restart goal number two was not long in coming. It came on 53 minutes and was created by the two centre halves as Darragh Maguire converted at the far post after Colm Foley's effort from the corner had been blocked. After that Rovers capitulated with only the crossbar denying Maguire after Des Byrne had floated over a cross from the right.

© Irish Independent