Match Report

Match Info

Date: 16/12/2015
Competition: Under 17s
Venue: Tallaght Stadium

Home Team

Mark Travers, Alex Kealy, Sean Callan, Declan Watters, Conor Gleeson, Emanuel Lawal, Harry Cornally, Shane Stokes, Richard English, Darren Quinn, Aaron Dobbs. Subs: Dean Dillon for Stokes 51 mins; Jamie Hamilton for Quinn 73.

Away Team

Paul Martin, Mark McGinley, Paul Cleary, Brian McGivern, Conor Fowler, Kyle Hogan, Luke Nolan, Josh Hogan, Luke Heeney, John Martin, Cian McMullan. Subs: Evan Casey for K Hogan 61; Neill Byrne for J Hogan 69; Mark Kelly for Cleary 77.



Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

Shamrock Rovers 3 - St Patrick's Athletic 2

SHAMROCK Rovers became the first name on the SSE Airtricity National U17 League trophy after a dramatic five-goal thriller against St Patrick's Athletic in the final at Tallaght Stadium.

In a very open game all the goals were scored in the first half then the home side defended stoutly to clinch the title.

St Patrick's Athletic got off to a fantastic start with Josh Hogan opening the scoring in the third minute. The winger cut in from the right and while his initial attempt was blocked down by the advancing keeper Mark Travers Hogan pounced on the loose ball and poked it to the net.

Shamrock Rovers levelled in the tenth minute when Darren Quinn collected an excellent pass from Sean Callan and slotted the ball under the body of advancing keeper Paul Martin.

Remarkably Martin's twin brother John restored the St Pat's lead when he raced through to slip the ball past Travers after the Hoops defence was caught cold.

Rovers were convinced they had levelled again in the 18th minute but a stunning goal-line clearance from defender Brian McGivern saw him slide back and turn an Aaron Dobbs effort against an upright before the ball bounced back into the hands of keeper Martin. Emanuel Lawal had done brilliantly to create the chance for Rovers.

Hoops keeper Travers made an important stop to keep out a close range header from John Martin after a piercing run by winger Cian McMullan created a decent chance for the visitors in the 22nd minute.

Travers was forced into another impressive save to deny McMullan in the 35th minute after another aggressive run by Josh Hogan.

Rovers then levelled dramatically in the 37th minute when Shane Stokes fired in a corner kick that evaded everybody and ended up in the back of the St Pat's net.

The Hoops took the lead in the 44th minute when Richard English fired in a deep free-kick which was deflected into the Saints net by one of their defenders for a cruel own goal.

Dobbs had a big chance to increase the home side's lead in the 76th minute when he got behind the Saints defence but after cutting inside Paul Cleary his effort was well blocked by keeper Paul Martin.

St Pat's had a fantastic opportunity to level in the 90th minute when Conor Fowler found the head of Brian McGivern but the defender screwed his header wide from six yards out.

Despite a late series of corners the Saints were unable to level and Shamrock Rovers claimed the inaugural SSE Airtricity U17 League crown.