Match Report

Match Info

Date: 14/07/2006
Competition: League
Venue: Richmond Park
Attendance: 1965

Home Team

Ryan; Quigley, Brennan, Maguire, Frost; Rutherford, Mulcahy, Foley (O'Connor, 66), Molloy (Foley, 88); Keegan (Armstrong, 66), Quigley.

Away Team

O'Brien; Rice, Ferguson, McGuinness, Byrne; Kelly (Harkin, 66), Farrelly, Hunt, Ward; Arkins, (Leech, 88) Devlin.


Referee: Ian Stokes
Assistants: Ciaran Delaney, Marc Douglas
Fourth Official: Declan Hanney

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 0 - Bohemians 1

PLAYER manager Gareth Farrelly was the Gypsy hero at Richmond Park last night, as his scorching free-kick just before half-time gave Bohemians their first win of the season against any of the six teams who were above them in the Premier Division before last night's game.

It could have been so different for Farrelly, though, had Mark Quigley converted a late penalty. Although it looked harsh at first glance, it was Farrelly who was adjudged to have fouled Dave Mulcahy, but thankfully for his team Stephen O'Brien pulled off a fine save.

When the sides met back in April, the Saints could well feel aggrieved that they didn't come away with all three points and they threatened to again overrun the Gypsies in the opening stages last night's game.

The first twenty minutes saw Johnny McDonnell's side have no less than six attempts on goal with Mulcahy and Trevor Molloy leading the charge. Mulcahy, in particular, was unlucky to see his shot fly just wide and a brave header do likewise.

Their best opportunity of the half, though, was the last of that period of pressure. Paul Keegan found himself through on goal but Des Byrne brilliantly recovered to nick the ball away from his feet.

With Mark Rutherford lurking, his lob cannoned off the bar but Quigley appeared to have put the Saints in front from the rebound only to be given off-side and Bohs survived.

The visitors weren't complaining as the headed into half-time with a 1-0 advantage, thanks to a Farrelly thunderbolt free-kick from twenty-five yards just before the break.

Molloy, who had roamed the left flank in the opening period, was moved into the centre to gee-up the Saints' attack, but it was his strike partner Keegan who nearly levelled matters when he got on the end of a Rutherford cross.

However, O'Brien pulled off a fine save to deny him. Stephen Ward's cross in the dying minutes caused havoc in the Saints defence but John Frost managed to hook the ball clear from under his crossbar.

© Irish Independent