Match Report

Match Info

Date: 13/11/1998
Competition: League
Venue: Carlisle Grounds

Home Team

Walsh; Tresson, McKeever, J Lynch, Gill; Tierney, Smyth, O'Connor, Connolly; Ryan, Byrne. Subs: Horan, Fox and Parsons for McKeever, Tierney and Byrne (79 mins).

Away Team

Wood; McGuinness, P Lynch, Moody; Croly, Gormley, Osam, Russell, Doyle; Gilzean, Molloy. Subs: Burke for McGuinness (44 mins); Morgan for Gormley (75 mins).


Referee: D O'Hanlon (Waterford).

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

Bray Wanderers 1 - St Patrick's Athletic 4

Another fine display puts the Supersaints back on top of the League. Two goals each for the ever-impressive Trevor Molloy and Ian Gilzean put St Patrick's back to the top on goal difference.

With St Patrick's missing Colin Hawkins in the central defence Mick Moody deputised. The defence did come under some increasing pressure in the second half, but they seemed to cope well under the cold and windy conditions.

St Patrick's won their first corner after 7 minutes when good work from Gilzean and McGuinness to set up Lynch whose shot was deflected wide. From the resulting corner St Patrick's scored their first of the night.

A Gormley corner was superbly headed home by the towering Gilzean, with Walsh having no chance in goal.

This seemed the ideal start for the Supersaints, but one minute later Bray equalised. A dipping shot from O'Connor at the edge of the box gave Wood no chance as it caught the wind and dipped just under the bar.

The Supersaints settled down again and produced a wonder goal after 23 minutes with some great counter-attack play. Player of the Month for October, Trevor Molloy, bicycle-kicked the ball up the line to the on-running Doyle whose pin-point ball found Gilzean who dispatched the ball with ease.

Bray could have equalised shortly afterwards but a brilliant save from Trevor Wood denied Don Tierney.

In the second half Bray looked more menacing and were unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions. However, it was the Supersaints who finished the game off with another two goals, this time from Molloy.

Perhaps after seeing his performance Ian Evans will have doubts on not picking him for the U21 match next week.

Two set pieces on 60 and 65 minutes could have resulted in two goals for Bray, but fortunately for St Patrick's they didn't. A quick free kick from Byrne had Wood diving low to his left post to keep the ball out.

The second free kick from Byrne was deflected wide after it squeezed through a crowded box.

From then on St Patrick's pushed forward and looked the more positive side. On 75 minutes 'Billy Boy' scored another wonder goal after he received the ball wide on the right from Russell.

Some clever work brought him past McKeever into the box and he placed the ball out of Walsh's reach into his far corner.

The third goal was sheer class from 'Billy Boy' who was on cracking form again. Walsh who had just pulled off a great save from a Gilzean header had no chance as Molloy thundered home a volley from 18 yards as it bounced in off the crossbar.

Molloy was unlucky not to have scored his hat trick after 84 minutes. A terrific run up the right wing, he again cut inside, but under pressure he couldn't force the ball into the net as two defenders cleared the danger.

Another strong performance from the Supersaints, they now face Derry City at the 'Stadium of Light' in a week's time.