Match Report

Match Info

Date: 01/01/1999
Competition: League
Venue: Richmond Park

Home Team

Wood; Hawkins, Lynch, McGuinness; Doyle, Russell, Osam, Gormley, Croly; Gilzean, Molloy. Sub: Campbell for Gormley (67 mins).

Away Team

Gough; Heary, McCarthy, Doolin, Geoghegan D.; Scully, Baker D., Fenlon, Baker R.; Geoghegan S., Sheridan.


Referee: H. Byrne (Dublin).

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 2 - Shelbourne 1

In a very physical competitive match these two teams again produced a thriller in front of the cameras. On a very wet and heavy surface both teams were fully committed to winning which produced some entertaining moments with the Supersaints coming away with the vital 3 points.

St Patrick's, with their 3-5-2 formation have been leaking too many goals lately, dealt well with the Shelbourne pressure and they forced them in taking long range shots which never tested Wood on the slippery surface.

St Patrick's had the best of the chances in the first half with chances falling for Keith Doyle and Trevor Molloy. Molloy was very unlucky not to score when his goal bound looping header bring a fabulous acrobatic save from Gough.

However Molloy did score, finishing well after a quick free-kick by Russell sent him free in the box as the Shels' defence could only look-on as Molloy placed the ball past Gough, for his 11th of the season.

St Patrick's could have added to Shelbournes' woes after only 40 seconds of the second-half gone. Another quick free sent Gilzean chasing in front of Gough's goal, bringing Gough out of the game he laid the ball back to Molloy whose shot curled wide to 'the shed's' disgust.

Shelbourne put in a better second-half performance and were unlucky not to have scored on a number of occasions with Trevor Wood producing some important saves, most notably a breath-taking leap to push Stephen Geoghegan's header on to the post after it looked like a certain goal.

After 84 minutes Shelbourne finally broke-through the St Patrick's defence with Sheridan scoring at the second attempt after a great Dessie Baker cross.

The Supersaints probably thought that they were in for another draw but St Patrick's had other ideas as they finished the game the strongest.

Only seconds after Shels had equalised Molloy missed a glorious one-on-one with Gough with the goal beckoning in front of him.

However, it was Molloy's persistence that won St Patrick's a free wide on the left which was taken by Russell.

His floated cross was met by Paul Osam whose glancing header beat the stranded Gough to give St Patrick's the winner.