Match Report

Match Info

Date: 02/10/1998
Competition: League
Venue: Richmond Park

Home Team

Wood; Hawkins, Lynch, McGuinness; Clarke, Gormley, Russell, Osam, Doyle; Molloy, Gilzean. Sub :Reilly for Gilzean (86 mins).

Away Team

Ryan; Delaney, Mahon, McDonnell; McLoughlin, Kavanagh, Lynch, Dunne, McAuley; Bennis, O'Byrne. Sub: O'Donnell for Dunne (76 mins.).


Referee: J McDermott (Dublin).

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 1 - UCD 0

Liam Buckley's Supersaints kept the heat on League leaders Cork City at the weekend with a decisive 1-0 win over UCD at the Stadium of Light.

Trevor Molloy netted the all important strike after 61 minutes with a neat flick at the near post from Jeff Clarke's cross.

The goal was just rewards for the St Pat's team who took the game to the visitors and had several chances to kill the game off in the second half.

Before another bumper attendance, the home side found it hard to break down a resolute College defence, for whom Clive Delaney was in sparkling form.

Front men Molloy and Ian Gilzean both had chances but Buckley's half time team talk did the trick and there was a greater sense of urgency about the men in red in as the second half opened.

Playing with an un-tried formula of three at the back (Packie Lynch playing sweeper), wing-backs Jeff Clarke and Keith Doyle surged forward and Molloy's goal lifted the spirits of the home support.

Ian Gilzean had several opportunities to add to his four goals so far this season but it wasn't to be his night and when referee John McDermott blew for full time, the Saints were, temporarily at least, back on top of the table.

The next three weeks will see things become much clearer at the top with the Supersaints visiting Tolka Park to take on Shelbourne next Sunday before back-to-back home games versus Sligo Rovers and Cork City.

The team from the southern capital had a 5-0 victory over Waterford United at Turner's Cross at the weekend and the game between the top two is sure to be match of the season on 23rd October. The game will be televised live on Network Two.