Match Report

Match Info

Date: 04/12/1998
Competition: League
Venue: Richmond Park

Home Team

Wood; McGuinness, Lynch, Hawkins; Croly, Campbell (Devereux 86), Osam, Russell, Doyle; Molloy (Reilly 79), Gilzean. Booked: Campbell (60), McGuinness (88).

Away Team

Devine; Power, Riordan, Smith, McGrath, Kelleher; Gannon Reynolds, Keith; Kabia, Brown. Booked: Kabia (20), McGrath (33). Sent-off: McGrath (83).


Referee: J Stacey (Athlone).

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 2 - Waterford United 0

Ian Gilzean was again on hand to secure the three points for the Supersaints as they beat Waterford to close the gap on Cork City to just one point. In front of a poor attendance at the 'Stadium of Light' neither side were at their best, and the crowd were subject to only a few noteworthy incidences.

In a quiet first-half the first shot on goal came after the half hour when a Paul Campbell shot from 18 yards was easily saved by Michael Devine in the Waterford goal.

This sparked off a short period of pressure from St Patrick's as Molloy's goal-bound header was blocked in front of goal and another shot by 'Soupy' was saved. The half continued with St Patrick's still looking unsettled without the presence of Eddie Gormley in midfield.

Trevor Wood looked on from the 'Shed End' as St Patrick's pushed on looking for an opening which almost came just before the break. A corner swung in from Trevor Molloy was headed down by Gilzean for McGuinness, whose powerful shot went flying over the bar.

For the second half 'Woodsy' came out in a pair of bottoms, on account of the freezing temperature in Inchicore. Perhaps he need not have returned, as Waterford failed to be creative in front of goal, with Kabia on loan from Cork City happy to kick anything which was in his path.

St Patrick's started brightly with a Molloy free kick at the edge of the box floating over the wall for Devine to make a full length save. The pressure continued as chances fell for Molloy and Gilzean on a couple of occasions.

The imminent goal came after 57 minutes when a pin-point cross found Gilzean at the six yard box, who gladly headed home for his ninth goal of the season.

Gilzean could have scored a few more before his second after 82 minutes. Martin Reilly who had replaced Molloy collected a through ball from Gilzean around the centre circle. He then proceeded to run at goal only to be fouled by Tim McGrath inside the box. McGrath was then consequently sent-off and Gilzean thundered the penalty home for number 10 of the season.

With Cork now playing Bohemians on Sunday, St Patrick's will be looking for some favours from their Dublin rivals.