Match Report

Match Info

Date: 03/04/2001
Competition: League
Venue: Richmond Park

Home Team

Kelly; Burke, S McGuinness, Maguire, Croly; R McGuinness (Osam 90mins), Griffin, Russell, Mbabazi; McCarthy, Kelly (Holt 89mins).

Away Team

Russell; O'Connor, Webb, Fulham (Hunt), Hill; Maher, Byrne, Caffrey, Rutherford; Crowe, O'Neill (Nesovic).


Referee: P McKeown (Dublin)

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 2 - Bohemians 1

It was spectacular stuff at the Stadium of Light as St Patrick's Athletic scored a dramatic injury time winner to snatch all the points against their Dublin rivals Bohemians.

In one of the most entertaining matches at the Stadium of Light this season the win puts the Saints two points ahead of Bohs in the race for a UEFA Cup place.

The Saints started brightly with Kelly and McCarthy causing trouble for the Bohs' defence. McCarthy's pace was too much for Simon Webb as he brought the pacey striker down after 14 minutes. Referee Paul McKeown had no hesitation in pointing to the spot to the dismay of the Bohemian players.

Liam Kelly took on the responsibility but unfortunately his shot went to the wrong side of Wayne Russell's post.

Pat Dolan urged his players on as they lifted themselves from the initial disappointment. They continued to press forward with Mbabazi and Robbie Griffin marshaling the midfield, and creating chances for the menacing McCarthy.

The drama continued into the second half and the Saints took a deserved lead when Stephen McGuinness rose high to head home from Russell's free.

With 30 minutes still left to play Bohemians pushed forward looking for the equaliser. The Saints dug in deep and defended in depth, and McCarthy almost caught them on the counter attack with Russell saving well.

With only a minute remaining Bohs put a high ball into the Saints' defence. In a crowded six-yard box it seemed that Shay Kelly was fouled as he rose to collect the cross. McKeon waved played on and Nesovic slotted home the loose ball.

It seemed the match was over but with two minutes of injury time remaining, Pat urged his players forward. The gamble paid off when Ger McCarthy headed home a Michael Holt cross in the final minute.