Match Report

Match Info

Date: 17/11/2006
Competition: League
Venue: Flancare Park

Home Team

Kelly; Brennan, O’Connor, Paisley, Cronin; Gough (R. Martin 73), Fitzgerald, Byrne, Kirby, Wexler; Baker

Away Team

Clarke; S. Quigley (Fahey 27), C. Foley, Maguire, Frost; Murphy, Leister (M. Foley 57), Mulcahy, Rutherford; Keegan (Rooney 78), M. Quigley


Referee: Mr. A. Buttimer (Cork)

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

Longford Town 0 - St Patrick's Athletic 0

The Cup finalists, St. Patrick's Athletic, had to settle for a share of the spoils in this low-key end of season encounter in the eircom League Premier Division at Flancare Park.

Despite dominating possession in the early stages of this dull affair, Longford were almost caught on the break after 20 minutes. Colm Foley headed wide after getting on the end of Brenton Leister's pinpoint free kick.

Former Longford player Paul Keegan had another chance for the visitors just three minutes later, but his shot was always creeping wide of Shay Kelly's goal.

Longford's best chance of the half arrived just two minutes later. Alan Kirby delivered a superb cross which Ian Wexler contrived to head wide when he seemed destined to put his side ahead.

Mark Quigley thought he had given Pat's the lead in the 37th minute. Shooting through a crowded goalmouth, his effort cannoned off the post before being cleared by the relieved home defence.

Longford created the first clear-cut chance after the interval. However, Ian Wexler's 58th minute powerful strike was aimed straight at Brendan Clarke in the visitors' goal.

The home side were reduced to 10 men in the 66th minute. Dessie Baker was brandished a second yellow card after a late, if somewhat innocuous tackle on Anthony Murphy.

St. Pat's will have concern over Darragh Maguire's availability for their forthcoming FAI cup final clash with Derry City. Maguire was sent off in the 80th minute and may well have to serve out his suspension on cup final day.

Pat's had two late chances to win the tie. Keith Fahey fine long range shot in the 88th minute was well saved by Shay Kelly while, in stoppage time, Colm Foley headed over when it seemed easier to score.