Match Report

Match Info

Date: 07/09/2007
Competition: League
Venue: Brandywell Stadium

Home Team

Jennings, McCallion, Oman, Hutton, Brennan, Higgins, Martyn, Molloy, Farren, McHugh (McGlynn 85) and Deery (Hargan 79).

Away Team

Ryan, Gibson, Rogers, Paisley, Frost, Kirby, (Fitzpatrick 81), Ndo, Brennan, Keane (Guy 70), Barker (O'Neill 68) and Quigley.


Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

Derry City 1 - St Patrick's Athletic 0

DERRY City put a serious dent in St. Patrick's Athletic's Eircom League Premier Division championship hopes by beating the Dubliners one goal to nil at the Brandywell.

An own goal by St. Patrick's right back William Gibson gave Derry the three points and also extended their unbeaten run in all domestic competitions to eleven games.

Disaster struck for St. Patrick's in the sixty-sixth minute when a long hopeful ball from deep in his own half by City's right sided midfielder Ruairdhi Higgins to the edge of the visitor's penalty area seemed to have been covered by the St. Patrick's defence.

But as goalkeeper Barry Ryan dashed from his line, Gibson misdirected his header and both players could only watch helpless as the ball rolled agonisingly and slowly into the net.

In an uncompromising first half, Derry had the first scoring opportunity in the second minute when centre forward Mark Farren cut inside left-back John Frost only to drill his angled drive wide.

Five minutes later Kevin Deery's twenty yard dipping volley flew inches wide.

And Derry again came close in the 16th minute when Kevin McHugh's shot on the turn bounced narrowly wide.

Only a brilliant reflex save by Pat Jennings prevented St. Patrick's from taking the lead in the twenty-second minute when Joseph Ndo's inswinging corner was deflected towards his own goal by Barry Molloy.

Three minutes later City defender Ken Oman's header from Killian Brennan's corner kick was saved by Ryan.

Both teams maintained the furious pace in the second half and Farren again came close for Derry midway through the second period when he drilled McHugh's pass wide of the goal.

St. Patrick's should have broken the deadlock in the fifty-fourth minute but Joseph Ndo fired his close range shot from Keane's free kick outside Jenning's right hand post.

© Irish Independent