Match Report

Match Info

Date: 26/02/2005
Competition: Friendly
Venue: Richmond Park

Home Team

Ryan (Clarke); Quigley, Bell, Donnelly (Maher), Maguire; C Foley, O'Keeffe (O'Connor), Fahey; Doyle (Markey), McPhee (Smith), Dunne (M Foley)

Away Team

Byrne; G O'Brien, K O'Brien (Clarke), Kenny, Byrne; Cooney, Rogers (Griffin), Kinsella, Francis (O'Mara); McKenna (Reilly), Harte (McNevin)


Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 5 - Kildare County 2

Johnny Mac's Saints gave a 5 star performance in this afternoons pre-season friendly against John Ryan's Kildare County.

It was a difficult week for the Saints who have just returned from their snowed out trip to England. However it didn't take long for things to ignite as Robbie Doyle raised the temperature of Richmond Park with his 5th minute strike setting the tempo for the afternoon.

Without flu victims, Barry Prenderville and Stephen Caffrey, the Saints fielded a strong 11, playing a 4-3-3 formation, with Doyle, Aidan O'Keeffe and Gary McPhee creating problems for the Kildare rear-guard.

Five minutes later the Saints were three up, and coasting towards a comfortable win. Doyle found himself through on goal, only for Byrne to push him wide and away from danger.

Darragh Maguire came close to making it two for the Saints only to see his goal-bound effort cleared off the line.

Kildare had chances of their own to level proceedings before the break. Gareth Cooney shot just wide with Barry Ryan beaten, and with 5 minutes of the half remaining, Daren McKenna should have levelled it but he shot straight at Ryan.

Just like the first half the Saints had the ball in the back of the net minutes after the start.

This time Fahey's inswinging cross found it's way into the net via the head of Darragh Maguire, though the goal was leter credited to Ger O'Brien who inadvertanly deflected the ball past his own keeper.

The Saints marksman steadied himself before sending the ball back across goal towards McPhee at the back post. McPhee, making his first start since dislocating his shoulder against Shamrock Rovers back in April last year, powered his header into the back of the net despite the goal line efforts of Keith O'Brien.

By this stage the Saints had stamped their authority on the game and their forth and fifth goals followed in quick succession on the 70th and 76th minutes.

Both were from set pieces, with Keith Fahey the orchestrater. First setting up Colm Foley who headed home unmarked from 6 yards out, and then from a corner, which saw Maguire rise highest to head past the helpless Byrne.

Johnny Mac rang out the changes making 5 substitutions in the last 10 minutes. This seemed to unsettle the team and Kildare took full advantage with Alan Byrne and then Martin Reilly heading home two late consolation goals.

After the initial disappointment of the opening pre-season game against Dublin City, the Saints were a different outfit today and eagerly await the next match which will take place this coming Thursday at 7.30pm.