Match Report

Match Info

Date: 25/09/2009
Competition: League
Venue: Richmond Park
Attendance: 1285

Home Team

20 Brendan Clarke; 6 Damian Lynch, 22 Enda Stevens, 19 Noel Haverty (2 Stephen Maher 30 mins), 18 Jason Gavin; 3 Darragh Ryan (14 Bobby Ryan 73 mins), 21 Ryan Guy, 7 Stuart Byrne, 8 Gary Dempsey; 23 Declan O'Brien, 11 Mark Quigley.

Away Team

16 Mark McNulty; 3 Danny Murphy, 4 Stephen Mulcahy, 5 Greg O'Halloran, 7 Kevin Long; 25 Davin O'Neill, 14 Cillian Lordan, 8 Joe Gamble, 11 Billy Dennehy; 9 Guntars Silagailis (18 Shane Duggan 45 mins), 19 Gareth Cambridge (10 Faz Kuduzovic 73 mins).


Referee: T. Connolly

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 1 - Cork City 1

Pete Mahon got his spell as temporary manager of St Pat's off to a decent start with a 1-1 draw with Cork City at Richmond Park.

Slack St Pat's defending allowed Davin O'Neill in to open the scoring for City on nine minutes.

The Saints drew level on 42 minutes when Greg O'Halloran handled Stuart Byrne's header over the bar and was red carded. Mark Quigley slotted in the subsequent spot kick.

St Pat's improved a lot in the second half but couldn't force a winner against City's ten men.

Scouts from Watford, Derby County along with Charlton Athletic's former Irish international Mark Kinsella were in attendance and were treated to that early opening, while Mahon and his assistant John Gill soon realised the enormity of the task facing them.

It was very slack Pat's defending and awareness allowed O'Neill to get on the end of a ball from the centre and shoot low and confidently diagonally across goal and past Brendan Clarke into the bottom left of the Pat's goal.

Pat's took their time in settling in, but soon got into their rhythm and created several good chances.

One of the best came on 26 minutes when Damian Lynch's long ball along the right was crossed into the area by Ryan Guy.

Declan O'Brien got in ahead of Stephen Mulcahy and O'Halloran but his header was saved by Mark McNulty.

The home side deservedly drew level from the spot on 42 minutes. O'Halloran was red-carded for handing Byrne's header over the bar on the line and Quigley smashed the subsequent spot kick past McNulty.

Cork had arguably been the better of the sides in the opening half, while Pat's looked better again in the second half, trying to make the most of their one-man advantage.

McNulty in the Cork goal was given a lot to do by the home side but made some vital saves. He did well for City on 61 minutes to save another O'Brien header from a Stephen Maher cross and eight minutes later from a Byrne header after a Guy cross.

Ultimately, Mahon will be happy with his point despite not being able to force a winner, while the City fans left the Dublin 8 venue chanting 'We want Coughlan out' in reference to their chairman, Tom Coughlan.