Match Report

Match Info

Date: 16/10/2009
Competition: League
Venue: Richmond Park
Attendance: 1456

Home Team

20 Brendan Clarke; 22 Enda Stevens (3 Darragh Ryan 56 mins), 18 Jason Gavin, 2 Stephen Maher, 4 David Partridge; 17 Gareth O'Connor, 8 Gary Dempsey (11 John Lester 67 mins), 14 Barry Ryan, 6 Damian Lynch; 23 Declan O'Brien (12 Glen Fitzpatrick 81 mins), 21 Ryan Guy.

Away Team

1 Chris O'Connor; 2 Derek Pender, 3 Daire Doyle, 5 Chris Deans, 4 David Webster; 6 Stephen Brennan, 11 Gary McCabe (12 Colm Tresson h/t), 8 Dave Mulcahy, 7 Jake Kelly (15 Dane Massey 64 mins); 10 John Flood (14 Chris Shields 42 mins).


Referee: D Hancock.

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 2 - Bray Wanderers 0

St Patrick's Athletic continued their battle to avoid the relegation play-offs with a hard fought win over Bray Wanderers at Richmond Park, writes Mark Cummins.

Ryan Guy put them on their way with a header on 31 minutes and Damian Lynch glanced in Gareth O'Connor's corner on 69 minutes to seal the win.

Both sides had penalties saved. Chris O'Connor saved from Gary Dempsey on 40 minutes and Brendan Clarke did likewise from Stephen Brennan on 84 minutes.

The defeat now leaves Bray firmly rooted to the bottom of the table with games running out.

In a lively opening, Jason Gavin fired over the top after just 90 seconds for Pat's while Bray's Jake Kelly shot wide on three minutes.

Bobby Ryan missed the target for Pat's soon after, while Declan O'Brien blazed over on 16 minutes from a Guy ball when it looked easier to score.

Gary McCabe threatened for Bray on 18 minutes with a ferocious shot but Clarke pushed away his effort.

Pat's wasted a well-positioned free-kick on 27 minutes when O'Connor's ball cleared everyone in the box and sailed into the hands of Bray keeper O'Connor.

They were ahead though on 31 minutes.

Enda Stevens passed to O'Connor who found Stephen Maher and a perfectly weighted ball came in to the box for Guy to head past O'Connor.

Pat's had the chance to double the lead on 40 minutes when referee Damian Hancock pointed to the spot when Derek Pender took down O'Brien in the box. Dempsey struck a hard spot-kick but O'Connor did very well and turned the ball around his right post.

Bray came out with all guns blazing as they went in search of an equaliser and had several chances. One of the best opportunities came on 61 minutes when Paul Byrne fired over, from much the same spot O'Brien had done for Pat's in the first half.

They were left to rue that chance though when Pat's went two up on 69 when O'Connor's corner-kick was glanced in at the near post by Lynch.

Guy had a chance to make it three on 80 minutes but shot wide when put through by O'Brien. Guy turned provider on 82 when he picked out sub Glen Fitzpatrick but Chris Deans managed to block his shot.

Bray were awarded a penalty on 84 when Gavin was adjudged to have handled in the area. Brennan took the kick but Clarke made a fine save.