Match Report

Match Info

Date: 10/07/2011
Competition: League
Venue: Richmond Park
Attendance: 1042

Home Team

Gary Rogers; Derek Pender, Shane Guthrie, Evan McMillan Ian Bermingham; Anto Murphy, Paul Crowley (Sean Stewart, 80), Shane McFaul, Derek Doyle; Daryl Kavanagh, Ian Daly (David McMillan, 63)

Away Team

Stephen Maher, Simon Madden, Dean Bennett, Nathan Murphy; Daniel Kearns, Greg Bolger, Keith Ward, Ross Gaynor; Mark Quigley, Mark Griffin (Johnny Breen, 83).


Richie Winter.

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 2 - Dundalk 2

St Pat's missed the chance to return to the top of the Premier Division table after being held to a draw by Dundalk in an exciting encounter at Richmond Park.

Derek Doyle volleyed the Saints into an 11th minute lead but Mark Griffin put Dundalk back on level terms on 31 minutes. Keith Ward put the visitors ahead with a close range finish on 50 minutes before Doyle headed in his second on 60 minutes.

There was an early scare for Dundalk when Simon Madden's attempted clearance cannoned off Doyle on four minutes and headed toward goal. However, Peter Cherrie in the Dundalk goal read the situation well and saved.

Pat's then enjoyed a series of attacks on goal which culminated in them taking the lead on 11minutes. Firstly, Evan McMillan went close on ten minutes when he met Daryl Kavanagh's free kick but arrowed his terrific header narrowly wide.

Seconds later Paul Crowley struck the post, with Cherrie beaten. Dundalk scrambled the ball away for a corner which was taken by Kavanagh. His delivery into the penalty area was inch-perfect and Doyle pounced at the far post to volley neatly past Cherrie.

Dundalk fought back and a good move on 15 minutes saw Mark Quigley put a low pass in to Ross Gaynor to the left of the Pat's box but Derek Pender and Shane McFaul snuffed out the attack before it reached Gary Rogers in the Pat's' goal.

Another good Dundalk attack on 20 minutes saw Keith Ward and Quigley involved in the centre before the ball was delivered to Mark Griffin. Rogers advanced out and the now under pressure Griffin rifled wide to the left.

At the other end Cherrie did well to save from Doyle with his feet at the near post on 26 minutes.

Pat's Crowley left the field on 31 minutes with a cut to his face and, while they were temporarily down to ten men, Dundalk equalised.

The Dundalk attack saw Stephen Maher deliver a low pass from the right and Griffin snuck in and tucked the ball past Rogers.

Crowley reappeared for Pat's seconds later with a fresh but numberless shirt but by then the damage had been done.

Griffin made a little bit of history with his strike, becoming the first Dundalk player since Mick Fairclough in the 1981/82 season to score in five successive league games.

Both sides had plenty of possession as the final minutes of the first half ticked away but it remained 1-1 at the break.

Dundalk started the second half in strong fashion and took the lead on 50 minutes.

Rogers made a great one-handed save from Quigley's rasping shot and from the resulting corner by Gaynor, Griffin headed the ball on to Ward, who slotted in at close range.

Dundalk spent just 10 minutes in the lead before Pat's were back on level terms on the hour mark. No Dundalk defender picked up Doyle at the far post and he was in the right place to meet Kavanagh's cross and he headed the ball past Cherrie.

Quigley went close to putting Dundalk ahead once again on 71 minutes with a free kick but put too much into it and sailed the ball inches too high.

Down at the other end, Cherrie denied Doyle his hat-trick with another fine save on 73. Ten minutes later Doyle had yet another chance to take home the match ball but shot wide of Cherrie's right-hand post.

The point puts Pat's joint second with Shamrock Rovers while Dundalk remain seventh, a full ten points behind