Match Report

Match Info

Date: 28/07/2011
Competition: Europa League
Venue: Ukrayina Stadion

Home Team


Away Team

1. Gary Rogers; 3. Ian Bermingham, 5. Evan McMillan, 12. Brian Shortall, 2. Derek Pender; 11. Derek Doyle, 6. Shane McFaul, 17. Dave Mulcahy, 22. Anthony Murphy; 24. Ian Daly, 9. Danny North


Referee: Martin Strömbergsson (SWE)

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

Karpaty Lviv 2 - St Patrick's Athletic 0

St Patrick's Athletic have it all to do following their 2-0 defeat in the Europa League third round qualifying first leg tie against Karpaty Lviv.

Pat's seemed on course for a manageable 1-0 deficit with the return leg next week in Tallaght Stadium, only to suffer a late blow when the Ukrainaians doubled their advantage in injury time.

Pat's were under considerable pressure throughout the first half and eventually succumbed to pressure from the hosts when Gary Rogers was beaten after 34 minutes by defender Artem Fedetskiy.

Pat's managed to ease the pressure ten minutes into the second half when they won two corners in succession but couldn't make anything of them. They were almost immediately caught on the break but Sergei Zenjov's right-footed effort from inside the box flew wide of Gary Rogers' post.

Pat's then came close midway through the second half. Derek Doyle intercepted a sloppy pass but couldn't generate enough power in his shot to trouble 'keeper Martin Bogatinov.

There were signs of frustration, however, beginning to creep into the Karpaty side as they failed to capitalise on their possession. With 20 minutes remaining Zenjov tried his luck from fully 40 yards
with a wildly speculative shot that was of no concern to Rogers.

Moments later they almost had their second goal. Igor Oshchypko made space in the box but Rogers got down brilliantly to shunt the ball out for a corner.

However, with the end in sight Pat's suffered a bitter blow when Belarus international Andrei Voronkov scored from a free kick on 93 minutes to leave the Dublin side with a huge hill to climb in the return leg at Tallaght Stadium next Thursday.