Match Report

Match Info

Date: 04/05/2012
Competition: League
Venue: Brandywell Stadium

Home Team

Doherty, Madden, McCallion, McBride, McCaffrey; McNamee, Molloy, Higgins, McLaughlin; Patterson, McDaid. Subs: McEleney & McGroary for McNamee & McCallion (54); Curran for McBride (82).

Away Team

Clarke, O'Brien, Kenna, Boler, Fagan, O'Connor, Bermingham, Rossiter, Browne, Forrester, Russell. Subs: Meehan for Rossiter (7); Daly for Fagan (71); J Kelly for O'Connor (82).



Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

Derry City 0 - St Patrick's Athletic 2

In form St Patrick's Athletic secured a comfortable 2-0 win over Derry City in the Airtricity League Premier Division.

Goals in each half from Darren Meehan and Sean O'Connor saw the Dubliners claim the points and in doing so remain unbeaten.

Pat's took the lead on 42 minutes when Meehan headed home after he found himself totally unmarked inside the City box. Pat's made the points safe just after the hour mark when a poor piece of goalkeeping by Gerard Doherty failed to prevent O'Connor's 20-yard strike ending up in the net.

Derry gave teenager Barry McNamee his first start and striker Rory Patterson also returned from injury, with Mark Farren and Patrick McEleney dropping out.

St Pat's had the first clear cut opportunity of the game on 10 minutes but Chris Forrester's low shot was saved by the out-rushing Doherty.

Soon after City youngster McNamee was in the thick of things when his pass found David McDaid. The striker's shot from the edge of the box caused problems for ‘keeper Brendan Clarke, but he did well to turn the effort over the bar.

On 36 minutes a teasing Ruaidhri Higgins free-kick was flicked goalwards by Stephen McLaughlin but his header, which had Clarke in trouble, flew just wide.

The Dubliners deservedly opened the scoring when Meehan saw his header loop over Doherty and into the net after the substitute got in behind the City back-line.

The Richmond Park men started the second half on the front foot and they should have doubled their lead on 50 minutes when Christy Fagan got clear of the City defence, but his side-footed shot was parried by Doherty and Dermot McCaffrey did well to block the striker's follow-up effort.

Doherty came to his side's rescue again soon after when he kept out John Russell's 20-yard pile driver at full stretch.

Pat's doubled their lead on 64 minutes after some poor keeping by the usually reliable Doherty - the City keeper some how let O'Connor's long range shot through him.

Liam Buckley's side are now ten games unbeaten and in truth they should have won by a bigger margin.