Match Report

Match Info

Date: 22/07/2012
Competition: League
Venue: The UCD Bowl
Attendance: 507

Home Team

16 McGinley; 13 Douglas (14 Kavanagh '86), 4 O'Connor, 5 Leahy, 17 Ledwith; 6 Corry, 8 O'Conor, 10 Benson, 23 McMillan, 21 Clarke (15 McNelis h/t); 26 Lyons (25 Belhout '59).

Away Team

1 Clarke; 2 O'Brien, 3 Carroll, 15 Browne, 12 Bermingham; 8 Chambers, 6 Bolger, 18 Russell; 17 Forrester, 9 Fagan (25 Flood '64), 11 O'Connor (19 Kelly '86).



Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

UCD 1 - St Patrick's Athletic 1

Robbie Benson's second-half equaliser earned UCD a 1-1 draw and dented St Patrick's Athletic's title challenge. St Pat's were in control when Chris Forrester's neat touch and finish put them ahead on the stroke of half-time.

The home side rallied in the second half and Benson fired in Samir Belhout's low cross to level matters on 70 minutes.

Mark McGinley produced several top class saves as St Pat's piled on the pressure late on, while Anto Flood fired wide when clean through with four minutes left.

St Pat's manager Liam Buckley will be disappointed that his side dropped off the pace in the second half. They are now six points behind Premier Division leaders Sligo Rovers, with a game more played.

UCD stay bottom of the table, three points behind Dundalk, but their battling second half performance will have pleased Martin Russell.

Buckley decided not to make wholesale changes after Thursday's Europa League tie against NK Siroki Brijeg. Conor Kenna's suspension saw Jake Carroll partner Kenny Browne in the centre of defence.

UCD made one change from the side that lost to Bohemians last weekend, as Dean Clarke replaced Ciaran Nangle.

It was a lively opening half, with both sides knocking the ball around well, but there was little for either goalkeeper to do as the defences largely dominated. Both sides were restricted to long-range efforts that failed to find the target.

St Pat's grew as the half wore on with the midfield trio of John Russell, James Chambers and Greg Bolger seeing more of the ball.

Christy Fagan had a good chance to open the scoring on 21 minutes but failed to convert Sean O'Connor's through ball after the UCD defence were caught napping.

Forrester struck just as it looked like the Students would go in level at the break. Bolger found space and picked out Forrester, who controlled well and beat McGinley with a tidy finish.

UCD were more positive after the break and Daniel Ledwith thought he had equalised with a curling free-kick on 53 minutes. However, Brendan Clarke flung himself across goal to tip the ball out for a corner.

McGinley produced an even better save at the other end to keep out a terrific chip from Bolger.

St Pat's paid the price for a slack second half display as Benson drew the sides level by sweeping home a cross from Belhout.

The visitors were stung into a response by Benson's goal. Forrester and O'Connor tested McGinley, before substitute Anto Flood bent a shot narrowly wide.

Flood then wasted a glorious chance to win it for his side on 86 minutes. Bolger's flick on allowed Flood to skip through on goal, but skewed his shot badly wide.

The visitors pressed to find a late winner but McGinley kept out everything they threw at him.