Match Report

Match Info

Date: 15/04/2011
Competition: League
Venue: Richmond Park
Attendance: 994

Home Team

Rogers; Pender, E McMillan, Shorthall, Bermingham; Murphy (Kavanagh 90+2), McFaul, Mulcahy (Crowley 59), Doyle; North, Daly (D McMillan 77).

Away Team

Barron; O'Conor, Nangle, O'Connor, Leahy; Corry (Ledwith 67), Langtry (Belhout 67), Creevy, Meenan; Marshall (Benson 78), Rusk.


Paul Tuite

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 1 - UCD 1

Graham Rusk pounced in the fourth minute of added time to rescue a point for UCD at Richmond Park.

Pat's looked to be on their way to three valuable points thanks to
Anto Murphy's goal on 44 minutes. Danny North and Ian Daly were involved in the build up before Murphy fired past Ger Barron from inside the six-yard box.

A lapse of concentration by Pat's in injury time allowed Darren Meenan put Rusk in to fire past Gary Rogers and complete a remarkable smash-and-grab by the students.

This south-Dublin derby saw Pat's close-season signings, Brian
Shorthall, Evan McMillan and Brian McMillan, come up against their
former side for the first time. The Inchicore side also included
one-time Students Murphy, Ian Bermingham, Shane McFaul, and Derek Doyle in their side against a youthful-looking UCD.

College always make things difficult for Pat's at Richmond Park and boss Martin Russell, a former Pat's star himself, put his side out with a 4-4-1-1 formation with Dean Marshall sitting just behind Rusk up front.

UCD had a great start; the south Dublin side passed the ball around and managed to get into good positions. Rusk tried a cheeky flick on the quarter-hour, but Pat's keeper Rogers was never seriously troubled.

Pat's started to impose themselves more on the game as the minutes ticked along. North found himself with the ball in a dangerous position on 22 but David O'Connor back-tracked and cleanly dispossessed him.

Ian Daly then had the ball in the UCD net, but the offside flag was
simultaneously being raised on the far side.

Pat's were shouting for a penalty on 34 minutes when Doyle's shot on target appeared to strike the hand of Paul O'Connor, but referee Paul Tuite waived away the claims.

McFaul fired wide for Pat's on 41 but they were soon ahead through Murphy. North did the hard work on the right, getting the better of Ciaran Nangle, and expertly hooking the ball over to set up Daly. He in turn scuffed his effort, allowing Murphy in to pounce from right in front of the goal.

UCD could have been back in contention on 58 minutes. Mark Langtry, a late replacement for Stephen Doyle before kick-off, headed the ball into the path of Marshall who missed the ball, and with it a golden opportunity.

North was arguably the best player on the park and showed his skill again on 71. He burst into the area, wonderfully turned O'Connor and was setting himself up for a crack at goal when Robbie Creevy stole the ball from him.

Rogers saved well from O'Connor after Meenan's free on 78 and again from a Samir Belhout header on 82. But he was powerless to prevent Rusk's effort hitting the back of the net in the fourth minute of added time following a cracking finish that saw a storming fight-back by UCD.