Match Report

Match Info

Date: 17/08/2012
Competition: League
Venue: Richmond Park

Home Team

Brendan Clarke; Ger O’Brien, Kenny Browne, Conor Kenna, Jake Carroll; Greg Bolger, James Chambers, Darren Meenan, Sean O’Connor (Anthony Flood, 79), Ryan Coombes (Jake Kelly, 90); Christy Fagan

Away Team

Darren Quigley; Dane Massey, Adam Mitchell (David Webster, 43), Danny O’Connor, Shane O’Connor (Daire Doyle, 68); Kevin O’Connor, Dean Zambra (Dean Marshall, 34), John Mulroy, Sean Houston, Kieran Waters; Jason Byrne


Padraig Sutton

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 0 - Bray Wanderers 1

In an explosive and action-packed encounter at Richmond Park, that saw three red cards issued, Bray Wanderers struck late to claim a 1-0 win over St Patrick's Athletic.

Kieran Marty Waters grabbed the winner in the 78th minute, but this game will be remembered for the ugly scenes in the second half that saw players and management involved in an on-field melee.

Bray's Jason Byrne was sent off for a clash with Sean O'Connor, while Darren Meenan was then sent off for St Pat's for getting involved in an ensuing fracas.

Saints' Kenny Browne was the third sent off late on for two bookable offences.

The first half was dictated by a number of collisions which saw the visitors forced into making two early substitutions. The first saw Dean Zambra make way for Dean Marshall on the half-hour mark after he sustained a nasty head injury that drew blood.

Zambra was joined on the line ten minutes later by Adam Mitchell who also picked up a head injury.

Sean O'Connor, on the left wing, was liveliest for the hosts in the opening half. He got on the end of a flowing move involving Ger O'Brien and Ryan Coombes six minutes before the break, but couldn't keep his powerful sliding shot down.

The hosts best chance of the game arrived courtesy of a James Chambers free-kick in the second half. His powerful drive struck the underside of ‘keeper Darren Quigley before looping up off the bar.

However, the game descended into near chaos after that in a crazy, action-packed spell that saw two players dismissed.

First, O'Connor fell to the ground after squaring up with Byrne during a stoppage in play. After consulting with his linesmen, referee Padraig Sutton showed the striker red.

Incensed, Byrne charged at O'Connor swinging wildly. Officials and management from both sides raced in to break up the melee that seemed to involve nearly every player on the pitch. In all the madness, Meenan was also shown red for his part.

However, there was more drama to come. Saints' centre half Browne was next to depart the proceedings. He picked up a yellow early in the second half, and when he clattered into ‘Marty' Waters with ten minutes to go, he joined Messers Byrne and Meenan for an early bath.

It was in this highly-charged and raucous atmosphere that Waters grabbed the winner three minutes from the death. He fired home after linking up with sub John Mulroy deep in the Saints' half.

Six minutes of additional time were added on, but the hosts were unable to respond in a game that will be remembered for a long, long time.