Match Report

Match Info

Date: 29/05/2016
Competition: League
Venue: Dalymount Park

Home Team

Dean Delany; Dylan Hayes, David Mulcahy, Dan Byrne, Derek Pender(Stephen Best '85); Roberto Lopes, Keith Buckley, Eoin Wearen (58' James Kavanagh); Jake Kelly (Lorcan Fitzgerald '79), Ismahil Akinade, Kurtis Byrne

Away Team

Brendan Clarke; Ger O'Brien, Sean Hoare, Lee Desmond, Ian Bermingham; Graham Kelly, Sam Verdon, Billy Dennehy (Rory Feely '46); Jamie McGrath, Christy Fagan (Dinny Corcoran '86),Mark Timlin (Keith Treacy '79)


Referee: Graham Kelly
Assistant Referees: Emmet Dynan and Michelle O'Neill
Fourth Official: Sean Grant

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

Bohemians 5 - St Patrick's Athletic 1

Bohemians recorded their first win in seven SSE Airtricity League Premier Division matches at a sun-drenched Dalymount Park as a blistering start helped them to a 5-1 win against St Patrick's Athletic.

Bohs were three goals up inside the first 15 minutes thanks to Roberto Lopes, Ismahil Akinade and Jake Kelly all scoring their first league goals of the season.

The Gypsies, who ended their barren run of nearly 700 minutes without a goal in the victory over Galway United in the FAI Cup, entered this game without a goal in the league since beating Bray at the start of April.

But it only took three minutes for Bohs to take the lead after a close-range effort from Lopes after Dan Byrne had squared his cross in front of the six-yard-box.

The home side's lead was doubled almost straight away when Akinade coolly slotted home after breaking free from the half-way line.

The Nigerian has struggled at times to show composure in front of goal this season, but he took his goal well and was a menace throughout.

Two then became three before the quarter-hour mark, with the Saints defence well and truly shell-shocked as Kelly raced through to clinically finish past Brendan Clarke in the Pat's goal.

Kelly then got a second before the break to double his tally in the league for the season after a cross-field ball was met by Akinade, whose downward header was scrambled home at the far post by Kelly.

Bohs were 4-0 up at half-time and were without the influential Ayman Ben Mohamed, who is on international duty with Tunisia.

After the break, Rory Feely replaced Billy Dennehy as Pat's went to three at the back in search of getting back into the game.

Akinade had a couple of half-chances in the second half to extend Bohemians' lead and was unlucky not to win a penalty when it looked like he was clipped in the penalty box by Sean Hoare.

The Saints did have chances of their own throughout the game but were denied by a couple of fine saves by Dean Delany, including a quick-reaction stop from Hoare's header, while another save - this time with his feet - denied the returning Christy Fagan.

Liam Buckley's men have been lacking consistency this season - they beat Bohs 3-0 in the league earlier this year - but have not been lacking goals in recent weeks, with 18 goals in their previous four games, including eight against Pike Rovers.

And to their credit, Pat's never gave up and tried to put some respectability on the scoreline in front of a crowd of 1,515.

They may have pulled one back in the second half when Fagan fired a shot past Delany's post, but they finally got on the scoresheet when Ian Bermingham smartly headed home from a Sam Verdon corner.

But Bohemians weren't finished yet.

This time referee Graham Kelly decided to award Akinade a penalty after being bundled in the box by Hoare.

The defender saw red as Kurtis Byrne fired the spot-kick to the roof of the net.

There is one more game left for both sides before the league takes a break for Euro 2016, with Bohs making the trip to Ferrycarrig Park to play Wexford Youths on Friday, while the Saints entertain Shamrock Rovers in another Dublin Derby.