Match Report

Match Info

Date: 15/05/2018
Competition: League
Venue: Richmond Park

Home Team

Barry Murphy; Simon Madden, Kevin Toner, Lee Desmond, Ian Bermingham; Conan Byrne, Darragh Markey (Graham Kelly 83), Jamie Lennon (Killian Brennan 60), Ryan Brennan, Thomas Byrne; Dean Clarke (Jake Keegan 55).

Away Team

Mitchell Beeney; Gary Boylan, Kyle Callan-McFadden, John Mahon, Calum Waters; Caolan McAleer (Ali Roy 59), Rhys McCabe, Jack Keaney, Adam Wixted (Raffaele Cretaro 80); Greg Moorhouse (Lewis Morrison 68), Adam Morgan.


Referee: Robert Hennessy
Assistants: Robert Clarke and Dermot Broughton
Fourth Official: Neil Doyle

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

St Patrick's Athletic 2 - Sligo Rovers 0

Thomas Byrne scored his first goal for the club on his first league start as St Patrick's Athletic beat Sligo Rovers in Inchicore.

Dean Clarke had given the Dubliners the lead early in the second half before the impressive Byrne secured what was the Saints' third win on the spin from the penalty spot. The victory sees Pat's go level with Derry City ahead of the sides' meeting this Friday.

Sligo's last win in the capital was at the same venue in late 2015. They looked to have a lot of work ahead of them if they were to break that run as Pat's enjoyed the better of the early offerings.

Rovers' on-loan full back Calum Waters got his foot behind Conan Byrne's drive at goal to send the ball over his own crossbar six minutes in.

Beeney got behind Byrne's free-kick shortly before Sligo skipper Kyle Callan-McFadden had to atone for his goalkeeper's mistake when he swept the ball off his own goal-line. Beeney skewing his attempted punch towards his own goal while under pressure from Brennan.

It took Saints number one Barry Murphy 26 minutes to get a touch on the ball. Callan-McFadden wheeling away in celebration when he thought his thumping header from Rhys McCabe's corner had breached Murphy's goal-line. The goalkeeper had different ideas however as he quickly got down to keep the ball out.

Murphy was called into duty once more late in the half. A magnificent one handed save denying a thunderous drive at goal from Wixted after a double-dummy from the Rovers winger.

Liam Buckley's side hit the lead six minutes after the re-start. Darragh Markey doing well to hold on to possession inside the Sligo area before finding Ryan Brennan who in turn fed Simon Madden. The full-back's cross reaching all the way to Clarke who fired home the opener at the back post.

Moorhouse snatched at his first time effort when unmarked at the front post on the hour. While Pat's sub Killian Brennan almost pulled off what would have been one of the goals of the season on 74 minutes.

The talented attacker catching Bynre's corner first time from 30 yards out, but Beeney spoiled the party as he palmed away Brennan's audacious effort.

Sligo did create chances to snatch a late equaliser. Raffaele Cretaro sent fellow sub Ali Roy through on goal, Murphy again keeping Sligo at bay with another smart stop.

Before John Mahon somehow fluffed his lines from close range, somehow skying his volley from six yards out.

But Pat's deservedly sealed the win in added time. Jack Keaney's clumsy challenge grounding Jake Keegan inside the Sligo box, before Byrne squeezed his spot-kick under Beeney.