Match Report

Match Info

Date: 19/07/2012
Competition: Europa League
Venue: Pecara

Home Team

Luka Bilobrk, Wagner, Dino Coric, Damir Zlomislic (Ricardo Baiano), Mateo Roskam (Kresimir Kordic), Damir Dzidic, Vedran Jese, Mladen Jurcevic, Mateo Bertosa, Ante Serdarusic (Ivica Dzidic), Sandro Bloudek

Away Team

Brendan Clarke, Ger O'Brien, Conor Kenna, Ian Bermingham, Kenny Browne, Greg Bolger, James Chambers, Chris Forrester (Jake Kelly), John Russell, Sean O'Connor (Darren Meenan), Christy Fagan


Referee: Istvan Kovacs (ROU)

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

Siroki Brijeg 1 - St Patrick's Athletic 1

Bosnian side NK Siroki Brijeg scored a last-minute goal to come back to draw 1-1 with St Patrick's Athletic in the Europa League

Despite dominating for large periods of the game, St Patrick's Athletic could only draw against NK Siroki Brijeg in their Europa League Second Qualifying Round first leg in Bosnia.

An exciting opening quarter of an hour saw Brendan Clarke's goal tested by both Sandro Bloudek and Dino Coric before Pat's were awarded a penalty in the 10th minute when Vedran Jese handled in the area.

John Russell stepped up to the spot, but his weak effort was easily saved by Luka Bilobrk.

A minute later, a counter-attack and some poor defending allowed Russell to atone for his mistake as his shot rebounded to Christy Fagan, who gave Pat's the lead.

A defensive error from the away side almost allowed Siroki back into the game, but midfielder Bloudek couldn't direct his shot on target. Pat's sat back after the goal, giving the hosts space to play the ball around the middle.

However, the Bosnians cut not pry open the Pat's defence and were restricted to shots from range. A dangerous cross should have come to something but Bloudek found himself obstructed by his own man, and his header trickled wide.

Siroki defender Mladen Juricevic picked up a second yellow card just before half time to leave the home side down a man with a full half still to play, inspiring fans at the Pecara Stadium to boo their team off at half time.

Pat's were helped by the extra man in the second half, with James Chambers pulling the strings in midfield. They were largely domninant after the break, and Christy Fagan up front looked dangerous. However, it was Chris Forrester who came closest, with a 60th-minute shot beating the keeper only to smash off the post.

The hosts created few chances of note, with Brazilian-born midfielder Ricardo Baiano's long-range free kick the only shot that Clarke had to collect. However, right at the death Siroki's top scorer Wagner headed in to snatch a late draw.

The away goal could prove vital to St Pat's, who host the Bosnians at Richmond Park next Thursday.