Match Report

Match Info

Date: 13/08/2012
Competition: League
Venue: Turners Cross

Home Team

Mark McNulty, Ian Turner (Brian Lenihan 73), Danny Murphy, Gear óid Morrissey, Shane Duggan, Davin O'Neill (Stephen Kenny 83), Vinny Sullivan, John Dunleavy, Dan Murray, Kevin Murray, Daryl Horgan.

Away Team

Brendan Clarke, Ger O'Brien, Kenny Browne, Conor Kenna, Ian Bermingham, James Chambers, Chris Forrester (Ryan Coombes 45), Greg Bolger, Anothony Flood (Darren Meenan 63), Christy Fagan (Vinny Faherty 90), Sean O'Connor


Tomas Connolly

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

Cork City 0 - St Patrick's Athletic 1

Cork City slipped to their first defeat in a league game since 20 April as St Patrick's Athletic secured a 1-0 victory at Turner's Cross.

The Dublin side scored the only game of the game through a great half-volley from Christy Fagan from a cross by substitute Darren Meenan.

The home side created plenty of chances in front of 2,159 spectators but couldn't take any of them.

Their best chance was missed by Davin O'Neill early in the second half.

It was the visitors from Dublin that settled first, but the home side soon got on top and created a succession of half-chances.

Although the home side started well, playing their customary 4-4-2, St Pat's started to boss proceedings from around the quarter of an hour mark. They lined up in a 4-5-1, with James Chambers excelling as the deepest midfielder.

The half lacked sparkle, however, and despite the efforts of both teams, the lack of intensity and chances lead to a curiously dead game.

St Pat's worked the best chance of the half with a piece of incisive play.

After 43 minutes, they worked the ball to Ian Bermingham who swung over a great cross from the left wing. Fagan met the ball with a firm header but it went over when he really ought to have scored.

Cork City keeper Mark McNulty did his best to enliven proceedings a minute before the break.

From a free-kick he scuffed the ball straight to Anthony Flood, who attempted to guide the ball into the unguarded net but he failed to hit the ball hard enough and McNulty recovered.

The second half started with a flurry of chances for both sides.

O'Neill came into the game and had two shots within a few minutes of the restart, one of which looked like it was headed for the bottom corner but went just wide. It was their best chance.

Cork City's impotence cost them once more after 68 minutes.

St Pat's attacked up the left and substitute Darren Meenan swung in a terrific low cross. Fagan met it with a crisp half-volley that found the bottom corner.

City tried to mount a fightback but never created any clear-cut chances after the goal.

St Pat's remain very much in the title race after three points gained on Leeside.