Match Report

Match Info

Date: 31/08/2015
Competition: League
Venue: Turners Cross

Home Team

Mark McNulty; Michael McSweeney, Alan Bennett, Darren Dennehy, Ross Gaynor; Karl Sheppard, Garry Buckley, Colin Healy (Liam Kearney '46), Kevin O'Connor (Cian Coleman '90), Billy Dennehy (John O'Flynn '82); Mark O'Sullivan.

Away Team

Brendan Clarke; Ger O'Brien, Jason McGuinness, Lee Desmond, Ian Bermingham; Conan Byrne, Shane McEleney (Greg Bolger '42), James Chamber, Sam Verdon (Darragh Markey '75), Morgan Langley; Jamie McGrath.


Referee: Neil Doyle.

Goal Scorers

Yellow Cards

Red Cards

Cork City 3 - St Patrick's Athletic 1

Cork City moved to within five points of Premier Division League leaders Dundalk with a comprehensive 3-1 win over St. Patrick's Athletic at Turner's Cross.

Captain Alan Bennett struck home midway through the first half to put City ahead, before Kevin O'Connor doubled their advantage six minutes later with an excellent finish from just outside the six-yard box.

Darren Dennehy put the fixture beyond any doubt with a fine header at the back post on the hour mark. And though Pat's hit back through Morgan Langley, it's City that have moved closer to the Lilywhites in the chase of season-ending honours, albeit with an extra game played.

Injury and suspension robbed John Caulfield of the services of Liam Miller, Dan Murray and Steven Beattie ahead of the rescheduled League encounter, so Kevin O'Connor, Darren Dennehy and Billy Dennehy were all drafted into City's starting line-up.

Liam Buckley, for his part, made three changes from the side that was beaten by Derry City last time out and brought Jason McGuinness, Shane McEleney and Jamie McGrath in for Sean Hoare, Greg Bolger and Aaron Greene.

Having recorded a 4-0 win over their opponents in the FAI Cup 11 days previously, Cork City were quickly into their stride and should have taken the lead inside the opening minute.

Ross Gaynor's ball found Karl Sheppard, who knocked a lovely ball inside to Mark O'Sullivan. The striker took one touch before firing straight at Brendan Clarke with the Pat's goal at his mercy. The Saints number one then blocked Garry Buckley's follow-up effort to keep the teams on level terms.

The young Cork midfielder threatened once again on nine minutes when his cross turned shot was deflected wide by Clarke. The resulting corner was initially cleared by the visitors, only for Billy Dennehy to knock the ball back into the box and allow Buckley direct a header on target. Again, however, it was an easy save for the Pat's keeper.

Billy Dennehy provided a fine cross that saw O'Connor register a header on target two minutes later and before the crowd of 2,017 could settle back into their seats, Pat's had a chance to break the deadlock at the other end with Mark McNulty and Gaynor blocking efforts
from Langley and Conan Byrne respectively.

The opening goal when it came was nothing more than the hosts deserved. Billy Dennehy's corner was cleared at the first attempt but when Colin Healy picked up the loose ball and fired the ball out wide once again to the Kerryman, Alan Bennett was in the right place to hook the cross to the back of the net.

O'Connor, playing in the centre of the park alongside Buckley as opposed to his usual spot at left back, headed over from another Billy Dennehy cross on 26 minutes, and finally nabbed his goal two minutes later when a snappy pass from O'Sullivan saw him rifle a shot beyond Clarke from near the penalty spot.

Stunned by two goals in six minutes, Liam Buckley's men looked fragile at the back but did have one good chance to pull a goal back before the break as Ian Bermingham's long-range effort took a wicked deflected and bobbled just wide of McNulty's.

City lost Healy to injury at half time and endured a few nervy moments immediately after play resumed. McNulty parried away Byrne's corner a minute into the second half before sticking a leg out to make a late block from Jamie McGrath seconds later.

Sheppard ran on to a knock down from O'Sullivan but fired a low effort straight at Clarke to respond for the Leesiders. The men in green continued to push forward in numbers though, and the pressure eventually told when Darren Dennehy headed home at the back post from Buckley's corner.

Dented by a horrible run of results in recent weeks, it would have been easy for the Saints to capitulate completely. However, Langley - full of running all night - pulled one back on 65 minutes when he headed home from Ger O'Brien's cross.

That was as good as it got though, as despite more urgency in their play, the visitors failed to cause any real problems for the side leading the chasing pack in the League race over the final 20 minutes.